Saturday, August 6, 2011

Unimaginable Week

It has to be one of the worst weeks I have ever dealt with in my life.  On Tuesday night, I got a call around midnight from our local fire department saying that my parents' house had been struck by lightening and was on fire.  My husband and I rushed to their house (which is across town) to find the entire second floor engulfed in flames.  It took 8 towns of fire trucks and 2 and half hours to put out the fire.  Luckily, they were out of town on vacation in Colorado and their 10 year old Persian cat, Willow, was saved by a neighbor.  However, they lost almost everything and because they had driven to CO, I was off two days from work to deal with the insurance companies, the media (whom I have learned can be completely rude), and getting a few salvageable items out of the house. 



It was so incredibly scary to see the fire and deal with the aftermath.  My parents have been doing well dealing with it but, I know we have lost so much including many family photos, our baby books and baptismal outfits and childhood toys.  Though my brother and I are both married and live in our own houses, knowing some of this is lost is heart ache.  Especially as I am about to have my son.  It really makes you think about what is important in life....

3 comments:

Sholeh said...

Oh hon, I am so sorry. :-(

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

wow. they have a huge house. I really am sorry that they had lightning fire destroy so much of it.

Mdrozd235 said...

Mother nature is cruel and I'm still so sorry to hear that this happened to your family. I know that the things you lost are irreplaceable and nothing will change that. What a blessing it is, though, that your little guy will be here soon to help create new treasures. Your family is still in our thoughts : )