Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Why I cook from scratch

I was cooking dinner yesterday which included the above (heirloom potatoes, a purple onion I got from the farmers market, zucchini in garlic olive oil and tarragon) and I realized that people often ask me why I cook with fresh veggies and meat.  To be honest, I really don't know how to cook anything else. I own a crockpot but, I have no idea how to use it.  I am lost in the frozen food aisle at the grocery store and really, to me it is easier to cook from scratch.  This is especially true with a crockpot.  Ok, so it is ready when you get home from work but, you still have to prepare the ingredients, right?  And something about a machine that slowly cooks raw stuff over the span of like 9 hours frankly scares me.  (Maybe it was all those classes I took to get my sanitation certification).

I think I also have to blame my upbringing.  I don't really remember any of the women in my family ever cooking any other way.  Definitely not my French grandmother and maybe my mom only on special occasions (we would ask for chicken nuggets or something for our birthdays).  But mostly I grew up eating meals made from fresh ingredients.  So, I guess I can't see it any other way.  I know people think this will change when Baby Owl is born but, I don't see how.  I just think it is easier to cook that way that I do!

No comments: