Sunday, November 15, 2009

Why do you shop at thrift stores....?

I can not begin to explain how many times I have been asked this.  Including today.  I think (and keep in mind, my town has transformed from the small farm town I was born in to an outright suburb) people just relate 'thrifting' to 'poor' which is just honestly the most ridiculous and slightly condescending thing ever.  And the funny part is, this quest is always after a statement; "I LOVE you dress/blouse/skirt, where did you get it?"  and I promptly answer "The Goodwill/Nearly New Resale/Unique Thrift."  Sometimes, although much less that the above response, I get a "I really should try out thrifting."  Oddly this response is almost always by someone why has a sense of style. 

I am not sure where thrift stores got their bad rap.  In fact, it makes little sense at all.  I have donated to the Goodwill my entire life.  And for the most part, I have donated things that I either A: received from a family member that doesn't fit or I dont like or B: something slightly used but due to my ridiculous clothing turnover ratio, must be let go and bought by someone else.  So why is it that people tend to think that thrift store = low income.  It just irks me.

Sorry for the rant.  I promise to post pictures of my fantastic thrifted day dress tomorrow along with the compliments I know I will receive while wearing it!

3 comments:

Idée Géniale said...

I know what you mean. Its funny that some people look at me like I'm crazy when I say I got a dress for $3! Or I even got an incredulous laugh at my bro's wedding when I said I got my dress at Target. Really people?? come on! Its about saving money AND having style.

Starr Crow said...

amen.
for me it's all about the hunt, all about getting that one piece that no one else in the world has and (like you said) being able to say "i got it at goodwill for 3 bucks!"
ah the treasures that await us on the thrift store shelves!! if those other people only knew. :)

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

Hi Lara, thanks for commenting on my blog, I love connecting with other people in the Chicago area. There are a growing number of vintage bloggers in our area, I posted their links on my blog if you want to check it out. :) Does the metra stop close to where you live? It would be fun to meet up to go vintage shopping down there in the near future.