Friday, April 29, 2011

Honeycomb


This was actually my Wednesday outfit but, I recreated for today so I could take pictures.  I think this is the last time I will be able to wear this dress until after Baby Chouette is born.  It is definitely starting to get a BIT snug in the belly region!  However, it is one of my favorite dresses so, I will miss it until probably October rolls around.  It reminds me of a multi-coloured honeycomb!


Now am I am sure many of you watched the royal wedding today or at least caught some highlights on the web.  I have to say that I fall into the latter category.  Something about waking up at 2am to begin a Wills and Kate Wedding marathon doesn't really spark my interest.  However, I do have to say that checking to see what her gown looked like first thing after waking up was on my list of to-dos.  Frankly, I loved her dress.  it was elegant, classy and, as the British would say, "Spot on" in my opinion.

Even though I was not completely immersing myself in the hype of the wedding, I can't say the same for some of my co-workers.  Many of them woke up early to watch beginning coverage, decorated their cubes in British flags and even some wore big, fancy hats.  However, I was mostly impressed with one of our inventory analysts who actually baked William's Grooms cake.  And, it may be because I am pregnant but, it was one of the most amazing cakes I have had in recent years!  I managed to track down the recipe and plan to make it soon.  See the link below to get it!



Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Lightly adapted recipe from Eating Royally by Darren McGrady                                                 
1/2 tsp. softened butter for greasing pan
8 oz. McVities rich tea biscuits, broken into pieces
1/2 stick (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup extra find granulated sugar
4 oz. (about 1/2 cup) chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
1 egg, beaten
8 oz. chocolate for icing
Cinnamon for dusting
Lightly grease a 6" spring form pan.  Set aside.  Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until mixture has lightened in color.
Melt 4 oz. chocolate in a double boiler. Add butter and sugar mixture to the chocolate stirring constantly.  Add the egg and continue to stir.  Fold in biscuit pieces until they are all coated with the chocolate mixture.
Spoon the chocolate coated biscuits into the cake pan.  Press firm with the back of a spoon to fill in any gaps - the bottom of the cake will be the top when turned out.  Chill the cake in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
Remove cake and unmold on a wire rack.  Melt the 8 oz of chocolate (I did this in the microwave) and pour over the cake.  Spread smooth with an off-set spatula.  Allow chocolate coated cake to sit at room temperature until chocolate is set.  When set, run a spatula under the cake to remove from wire rack (chocolate makes it stick a little).  Transfer to a fancy serving platter, slice and serve.

No comments: